Any student under the age of 18 needs to have a valid Work Permit in order to work at any time, during the school year, vacations, and/or holidays.
Enlightium also upholds the policy that students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and be in good standing academically in order to be approved for and issued a work permit.
At any time Enlightium retains the right to refuse or revoke a permit to work if deemed necessary for the well-being of the student.
Below are the WAC 296-125 & 131 guidelines Enlightium uses when approving a work permit.
Work Permit Guidelines When School is in Session
16–17-year-old students may work a maximum of 22 hours per week, not to exceed four hours per day Sunday through Thursday and not to exceed eight hours on Friday or Saturday. The spread of hours that a 16–17-year-old student can work is 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
14–15-year-old students who have completed the 7th grade may work a maximum of 15 hours per week, not to exceed three hours per day Monday through Friday and not to exceed eight hours on Saturday or Sunday. The spread of hours that a 14–15-year-old student can work is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
12–13-year-old students may be employed only during school holidays and vacations!
Work Permit Guidelines When School is Not in Session
- 16-17-year-old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed eight hours per day
- 14-15-year-old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed eight hours per day
- 12-13-year-old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed eight hours per day
- The work permit expires automatically when you leave, quit, or are fired from a job. You must request a new work permit each time you obtain a new job, two weeks into the next school year, and/or if you change your school of attendance.
- On the day of a student's 18th birthday, a work permit is no longer required!
Work Permit Procedure
- Download the PDF forms from your state’s Labor and Industries agency or website or acquire the forms from your prospective employer.
- Complete the section entitled "For Minor To Complete"
- Allow the employer to complete the section entitled "For Employer To Complete"Allow the
- parent to complete the section entitled "For Parent To Complete"
- Email or fax this completed form to your Enlightium Counselor. Please be sure to include all forms and one document to provide proof of your birthdate. Include:
- A copy of a state-issued ID or a driver’s license
- A copy of your birth certificate
- Send to Enlightium through one of the following channels:
- Fax to (888) 317-65717
- Include a cover page with your Counselor’s name.
- Send to:
- Enlightium Academy
- 1330 N. Washington Street, Suite 5050
- Spokane, WA 99201
- Attn: HS Counselor
- RE: Work Permit
- Your counselor will authorize the work permit and email the signed documents back to the student.