Any student under the age of 18 needs to have a valid Work Permit in order to work at any time, during the school year, vacations, and/or holidays.
Enlightium also upholds the policy that students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and be in good standing academically in order to be approved for and issued a work permit.
At any time Enlightium retains the right to refuse or revoke a permit to work if deemed necessary for the well-being of the student.
Below are the WAC 296-125 & 131 guidelines Enlightium uses when approving a work permit.
Work Permit Guidelines When School is in Session
State laws vary regarding how much 12-17-year-old students may work while school is in session. We encourage students to research these laws at their state’s department of education website (e.g., https://education.ky.gov/), or ask their employer.
18-year-old students have no limitations for working while enrolled.
Work Permit Guidelines When School is Not in Session
- 12-17-year-old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed eight hours per day.
- The work permit expires automatically when you leave, quit, or are fired from a job. You must request a new work permit each time you obtain a new job, two weeks into the next school year, and/or if you change your school of attendance.
- On the day of a student's 18th birthday, a work permit is no longer required!
Work Permit Procedure
- Download the PDF forms from your state’s Labor and Industries agency or website or acquire the forms from your prospective employer.
- Complete the section entitled "For Minor To Complete"
- Allow the employer to complete the section entitled "For Employer To Complete"
- Allow the parent to complete the section entitled "For Parent To Complete"
- Email or fax this completed form to your Enlightium Counselor. Please be sure to include all forms and one document to provide proof of your birthdate. Include:
- A copy of a state-issued ID or a driver’s license
- A copy of your birth certificate
- Send to Enlightium through one of the following channels:
- Fax to (888) 317-6571
- Include a cover page with your Counselor’s name.
- Send to:
- Enlightium Academy
- 1330 N. Washington Street, Suite 5050
- Spokane, WA 99201
- Attn: HS Counselor
- RE: Work Permit
- Your counselor will authorize the work permit and email the signed documents back to the student.