Enlightium Academy Support

Student Work Permit

Work Permit

Wallet icon
  • Any student under the age of 18 needs to have a valid Work Permit in order to work at any time, during the school year, vacations, and/or holidays. 

  • Enlightium also upholds the policy that students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and be in good standing academically in order to be approved for and issued a work permit. 

  • At any time Enlightium retains the right to refuse or revoke a permit to work if deemed necessary for the well-being of the student.

  • Below are the WAC 296-125 & 131 guidelines Enlightium uses when approving a work permit.

Work Permit Guidelines When School is in Session

Calendar icon
  • State laws vary regarding how much 12-17-year-old students may work while school is in session. We encourage students to research these laws at their state’s Department of Education website (e.g., https://education.ky.gov/), or ask their employer.

  • 18-year-old students have no limitations for working while enrolled.

Work Permit Guidelines When School is Not in Session

Umbrella and beach chair icon
  • 12-17-year-old students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week, not to exceed eight hours per day.
  • The work permit expires automatically when you leave, quit, or are fired from a job. You must request a new work permit each time you obtain a new job, two weeks into the next school year, and/or if you change your school of attendance.
  • On the day of a student's 18th birthday, a work permit is no longer required!

Work Permit Procedure

Paper and pencil icon
  1. Download the PDF forms from your state’s Labor and Industries agency or website or acquire the forms from your prospective employer.
  2. Complete the section entitled "For Minor To Complete"
  3. Allow the employer to complete the section entitled "For Employer To Complete"
  4. Allow the parent to complete the section entitled "For Parent To Complete"
  5. Email or fax this completed form to your Enlightium Counselor. Please be sure to include all forms and one document to provide proof of your birthdate. Include:
    1. A copy of a state-issued ID or a driver’s license.
    2. A copy of your birth certificate.
  6. Send to Enlightium through one of the following channels:
    1. Email your counselor, or
    2. Fax to (888) 317-6571
  7. Your counselor may authorize the work permit and email the signed documents back to the student.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.