Spelling Bee (Grades 3-12)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How Do Enlightium Students Participate in a Spelling Bee?
- Enlightium Academy provides students in grades 3-12 with the opportunity to compete in a spelling bee with other Enlightium students.
- The event will be recorded and may be used on Enlightium’s website and/or for promotional purposes
Spelling Bees Fulfill the Student Social Opportunity
- Participation in the Spelling Bees counts as fulfilling the Student Social Opportunity
- Parents can register, opt-out, or submit a correction in the Enlightium Parents app by selecting "Social" in the main menu. Late registration is available for the Spelling Bee.
- Students who meet attendance and participation requirements are entered into a drawing for a $50 gift card at the end of the year.
- Attendance requirements are dependent on when a student enrolled in Enlightium Academy
- Quarter 1, 2, and 3 enrollment - students must attend at least two Spelling Bees
- Quarter 4 enrollment - registration for the Spelling Bee is not available
- November 30-December 2, 2021 - Round 1
- Grades 3-5: Tuesday, November 30 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 6-8: Wednesday, December 1 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 9-12: Thursday, December 2 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- February 4, 2022 - Optional In-Person Spelling Bee for grades 3-8 in O'Fallon, Missouri. See "In-Person Spelling Bee" below for more details
- February 22-24, 2022 - Round 2
- Grades 3-5: Tuesday, February 22 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 6-8: Wednesday, February 23 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 9-12: Thursday, February 24 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- May 24-26, 2022 - Round 3
- Grades 3-5: Tuesday, May 24 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 6-8: Wednesday, May 25 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Grades 9-12: Thursday, May 26 at 2 pm Pacific Time
- Participants must have webcam capabilities so that the judges can view the students while they speak.
- Participants must have a phone available for clear audio.
- Ensure an adult is present and will remain present for the duration of the event (approximately two hours).
- Log in using the link provided via the Enlightium Parents app (sent the day of the event)
- Families should join at the start of the event. Late logins may result in being expelled from the Spelling Bee.
- If families experience technical issues when logging in, please email email@example.com.
- At the event start time, Enlightium will begin roll call. Both the student and the adult on the Student Social Week registration form will need to be present.
- The Spelling Bee Coordinator will explain the rules and begin the competition. There will be a practice run to ensure that participants are comfortable with the rules.
- Families should stay logged in for the duration of the student’s involvement. Families may silently leave the session if the student is no longer involved in the competition.
Spelling Bee Resources
Spelling Bee Lists
In-Person Spelling Bee
- ACSI, one of Enlightium's accrediting agencies, is holding an in-person spelling bee competition between Enlightium Academy students and students of other schools. Participation is optional.
- Students in grades 3-8 who have signed up for the Spelling Bee at Enlightium may participate. Submit this form to inform Mr. Brooks that you will be participating in the Spelling Bee and/or the dinner.
- All Enlightium families are encouraged to come to meet Enlightium staff and other Enlightium families and to cheer on our students!
- All Enlightium families are invited to a dinner at a local restaurant after the event. Families will be paying for their own meals.
- Location: First Baptist Christian Academy, 8750 Veterans Memorial Parkway O’Fallon, Missouri 63366
- Date: February 04, 2022
- Tentative Schedule per ACSI:
- 9:20-9:50 - Check in - lobby at the main entrance of the church; please enter through the doors that say “Worship Center”.
- 10:00 - Opening prayer in the church sanctuary
- 10:15 - Grade level spelling bees in assigned grade rooms
- 11:15-12:15 - Lunch in the annex; please bring your own lunch or wait until after the event.
- 12:30 - Spell off in the church sanctuary followed by the awards ceremony
- Post-Spelling Bee Meal - All attending Enlightium families are invited to a dinner at a local AppleBees. Submit this form to inform Mr. Brooks that you will be attending the Spelling Bee and/or the dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What Spelling Bee list will my student need to study?|
The only list the student will need to study is the one with their grade level. For high schoolers, that's one collective list.
Does my student need to say "uppercase" letter for words that are proper names to get the word correct?
They do not.
Will the competition be via zoom? If so, what is the phone for?
It is through zoom. In the past, students would join from just the computer and if their internet connection was poor, they were unable to participate. Having a phone available allows for clearer audio when that happens.
Is there a prize for winners?
Winners will be published on the knowledge base, promoted on the app, and will have bragging rights.
Spelling Bee Winners
|School Year||Round||First Place|
|First Place (Grades|
|2021-2022||1||Summerly M., California||Julie B., Virginia||Tyler C., Illinois|
|2||Scheduled for February 2022|
|3||Scheduled for May 2022|
|2020-2021||1||Charles B., New Mexico||Sydney R., North Carolina||Carla C., Dominican Republic|
|2||Gianna B., Texas||Savannah R., Texas||Carla C., Dominican Republic|
|3||Elleora P., Indonesia||Jack P., Washington||Carla C., Dominican Republic|
|School Year||First Place (Grades 3-8)||First Place (Grades 9-12)|
|2019-2020||Nicole K., Washington||Hannah S., Texas|
|2018-2019||Eu-Jin H., Washington||N/A|
|2017-2018||Mason R., Arizona||N/A|