Community Service (Grades 9-12)
When Does My Student Need to Start Community Service?
- Enlightium Academy students in grades 9–12 need to complete community service as a graduation requirement.
- If your student first enrolled at Enlightium in:
- 9th grade or earlier - 40 hours need to be completed by the time they graduate. They have four school years to complete the 40 hours.
- 10th grade - 30 hours need to be completed by the time they graduate. They have three school years to complete the 30 hours.
- 11th grade - 20 hours need to be completed by the time they graduate. They have two school years to complete the 20 hours.
- 12th grade - 10 hours need to be completed by the time they graduate. They have one school year to complete the 10 hours.
Finding and Tracking Community Service
- Volunteering opportunities can be found locally. Examples include:
- Participating in the local church community
- Assisting in retirement homes and centers
- Reading and tutoring in elementary schools
- Volunteering in church settings
- Assisting in homeless shelters
- Volunteering at a humane society
- Enlightium recommends that parents/guardians help their student in finding a safe environment to work on community service hours.
- Volunteer hours tracked within our partner platform, Naviance x2VOL.
- Watch this video for a guide to logging your community service hours.
Community Service Hour Awards
- Students who participate in and record more than the required community service may earn certificates and scholarship opportunities (additional evidence may be required):
- 10 community service hours per academic year is required
- 20+ community service hours per academic year will be awarded a Certificate of Recognition
- 40+ community service hours per academic year will be awarded a Certificate of Distinction
- 60+ community service hours per academic year will be awarded a Certificate of Excellence
- Student in 12th grade may receive a college or university scholarship of up to $300 (terms are subject to change). To earn this scholarship opportunity, students in grades 9-12 will accrue $75 for each school year of completing 60+ community service hours. The scholarship is awarded upon graduation from Enlightium Academy and must be applied toward a college or university.
- Students can receive a maximum of 8 hours of community service per day. This includes events that last longer than 8 hours a day, such as participation in a mission trip or volunteering in summer camps.