Enlightium Academy is participating in the the Young Illustrators! Enlightium will be conducting the competition in-house, so students are only participating with other Enlightium students.
This event provides an opportunity for students in grades 1-6 to participate in the writing, illustrating, production, and presentation of original books. All adjudication is done at the local school level, and the top books from each grade level will be chosen and awarded placement. Every student who participates will receive a certificate of achievement.
Enlightium Academy students in grades 1-6 are eligible to participate in the Young Authors and Illustrators Olympics.
Families participating in the Young Illustrators absorb the following costs:
Materials for book creation
Shipping the final product to Enlightium's main office
Timeline for the 2019-2020 School Year
Book submission deadline: Sunday, March 1, 2020
The books will be graded: Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Note: the original deadline for submission was January 12, 2020; this has been updated to allow students more time to submit their books
Why is Young Authors and Illustrators Olympics Important?
• Writing is fun! Students should experience the pleasure of writing.
• Writing provides opportunity to develop language skills.
• Writing allows practicing literature concepts.
• Writing allows for interdisciplinary teaching.
• Writing provides a forum for students to express their ideas.
• Writing encourages expression of Christian faith and biblical worldview.
• Writing encourages creativity.
The following criteria should be used as books are prepared:
1. The book must be bound.
2. The book must use original student illustrations.
3. Themes should reflect Christian values.
1. Opening Pages—fresh and interesting, grabs the reader's attention
2. Length—correct for plot and age of reader
3. Ending—believable to story, brings good closure to the plot
4. Story—plot holds the reader's attention, shows originality
5. Characters—relate to story rather than popping in, not too many, well described
6. Description—choice of words is descriptive, feelings are expressed
7. Sentence structure—varies, is mechanically correct
8. Mechanics—proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling, grammar
9. Illustrations—match the story of the book, are neat and colorful, are a good medium for text 10. Neatness—neat overall, neat penmanship
11. Binding—neat, looks professional
12. Cover—draws the reader's attention
13. Christian theme—seen in story and illustrations
Address to send the book to:
Attention: Mrs. Chun
1330 N. Washington Street, Suite 5050
Spokane, WA 99201
Note: Enlightium Academy will not be sending the books back after the competition. If your family wants to keep the original, you can send Enlightium Academy a color copy through the mail. Sending a copy will not affect the student's final score.